Archibald T. Weeks, Z/631

Initial lead courtesy of Archibald's Grandson Dave Minchin.
Archibald Thomas Weeks was born to Thomas and Maggie Weeks in Cardiff. When he enlisted with the RND on 12 th January '15 he was living in Treorchy (Glamorgan), employed as a miner and gave his date of birth as 11th July 1896. He was given the Service Number Z/361.

Whilst undertaking his training Archibald was appointed Able Seaman in April. He was drafted to the Drake Battalion as a Signaller in February the following year and joined his unit at Imbros before moving with the Division to the Western Front. In September it was discovered that Archibald was underage, having actually been born in '98 rather than '96 as he originally stated, and he was attached to the Division's Engineers. Shortly after this attachment he was diagnosed as suffering from scabies and was sent to the 1st Field Ambulance before rejoining the Engineers and being posted to the 1st Army School of Instruction Condette. In November Archibald was returned to England and transferred to the A Reserve.

In July 1917 Archibald was appointed to the rating of Able Seaman (Higher Grade) and drafted back to the Drake Battalion in October before being posted overseas. On Joining the Calais Base Depot he was appointed Acting Leading Seaman but reverted to Able Seaman when he joined the XIX Corps Reinforcement Camp four days later. Archibald rejoined the Drake Battalion following the Division's relief at Passchendaele. He was diagnosed with Lobar Pneumonia just over a month later and was despatched to the 149th Field Ambulance. His next of kin was informed that he was dangerously ill. By the start of the New Year his condition had improved and he was moved to the General Hospital at Rouen. Archiblad was then invalided back to the UK and admitted to hospital at Sherborne. On his day of admission he was awarded his first Good Conduct badge.
Royal Naval Division .info Archibald T. Weeks, Z/631
Archibald Weeks
In May 1918 Archibald was transferred to the 2nd Reserve Battalion before being drafted back to the Drake Battalion a little over two months later and rejoined the Battalion in late August. Before the Division was relieved following the Battle of Drocourt-Queant Archibald received a gunshot wound to his left thigh. He was admitted to hospital at Rouen and invalided back to the UK. Albert was admitted to hospital in Manchester before spending a period of time recuperating at home. He was demobilised on 24th December following the Armistice.

Archibald died in 1973.
return to Detailed Personnel